Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 14-My Need of Prayer

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand why I need mental prayer.

The Idea: Why must I make mental prayer every day in order to be a more faithful Catholic? First, because a faithful Catholic is trying to do great things for God. He wants to win souls; he wants to be with God in heaven; he wants to change the world. But only a person very close to God can do these things, only a person with God's strength and God's help, only a person who prays.

Second, a Catholic should want to live as good a life as possible. Now two things that cannot mix are frequent mental prayer and frequent serious sin. I cannot come before God, day after day, look at Him, talk to Him, and keep on being His enemy, knowing that if I died at that moment I'd be separated from Him forever. So a Catholic makes mental prayer - to stay faithful and in a state of grace.

My Personal Application: God is calling me to pray - now - and every day. Can I turn my back on Him? All He has done for me up to now is nothing compared to what He will do in the future - if I am faithful in my mental prayer.

I Speak to God: My God, there must be a reason why all the great saints, all the great Catholics who have done outstanding work in your service, all backed up their work with prayer. There must be a connection between prayer and real success. Help me to see it - and to live it.

Thought for Today: I want to learn to pray.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: