Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 15-Getting Started in Prayer

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To pray well.

The Idea: The first step in talking to God is as easy as saying hello. I go to meet God by stopping to remember one true fact - the fact that I am alone in His presence. He is here, and I am here alone with Him. And I recall what I am here for: to talk with Him, with God. Have I done this today? Slowly, carefully? Next I ask Him to help me spend this time well. This can be the most important 15 minutes in my day. And only a fool starts anything really impor­tant without asking God's help first.

And now, thinking of God here present, I say to Him first whatever I most feel: my own thoughts, the ones that come naturally to me, the ones God sends me - those are best. I will stay kneeling here before Him and think about those things.

My Personal Application: Do I really want to learn to pray? Then I must take the steps: daily practice, start right, ask God's help. Then talk to Him sincerely and honestly; no one can fool God.

I Speak to God: My God, you are here with me. You have plans for me. Help me to know you better every day so that I may come to see what you want - and may have the strength to do it.

Thought for Today: Lord, teach me to pray.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: