Friday, September 15, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 16-What Is a School?

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: The grace to see why and how I must work at what I want to be.

The Idea: In the U. S. military academies - West Point, Annapolis, Colorado Springs - men are be­ing taught the high standards expected of them if they want to serve their country in a special way. The uniforms they wear, the subjects they take, the traditions among which they live - all remind them every day of what they are to become; all help them to prepare themselves for their special career.

It's easy to see, in a school like that, that every­thing is aimed directly at making the students into what they want to be - professional officers of the U. S. Army, Navy, Air Force. But really, every school is aimed at getting its students ready for the life they want in the best possible way. One's own school may not be perfect, but here and now, it may be the best way of preparing that one has. Hopefully, it offers one many more helps than one could ever find on his own.

My Personal Application: I have a life to live. I want that life to turn out well; it's the only one I have. Then I have to prepare myself for the future as well as I can right now. I have to use all of the opportunities I have - the chances to learn, the occasions to get to know others, the possibilities to develop my talents in different activities and areas, the times I have to avail myself of the Sacraments and to pray.

I Speak to God: My God, am I dreaming about a great tomorrow and not doing today what I can to build toward the tomorrow? Help me to open my eyes that I might see, help me to be receptive to Your grace and assistance.

Thought for Today: God helps first those who help themselves.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: