Monday, September 18, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 19-Two Missionaries

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To win souls for Christ.

The Idea: The Church's missions mean so much to her that she has assigned them two patron saints instead of only one! The first is a man who in the 16th century traveled many thousands of weary miles, up and down the coasts of Asia, preaching, founding churches, baptizing converts by the hundreds.

The other patron of all the Church's missions is a 20th-century cloistered nun who never preached, never baptized a convert, never even left her convent. But her quiet prayers and sacrifices brought unnumbered souls to God.

My Personal Application: "... give themselves wholeheartedly... to save and sanctify others..."­ Which kind of missionary shall I be?... a St. Francis Xavier or a St. Therese of Lisieux? The mission-minded Church of to­day has plenty of need for both kinds. When will I begin?

I Speak to God: Dear God, I promise to bring souls to you every day - some by my work, some by my prayers. Work with me. Help me pray.

Thought for Today: "Lord, give me souls."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: