Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 22-Daily Prayers

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To realize the importance of my daily prayers; the courage to live by that con­viction.

The Idea: Besides mental prayer, certain others prayers should be said daily. For instance, the Sodality requires: the morning greeting of three Hail Mary's to Our Lady, the Rosary or some office of the Blessed Virgin, an examination of conscience, and an act of contrition before retiring.

Being faithful to these or other prayers of one's prayer life will be a good proof that we are sincere when we pledge to serve Christ and Our Lady in a special way.

Just as a soldier is bound by his way of life to perform acts not required of civilians, so too a close follower of Christ, worthy of that name, will desire out of love for his Leader, to perform deeds of a more generous offering.

My Personal Application: Looking back over the past, do I find a habit of daily prayers firmly established? Or must I admit to myself that I am not what I profess to be?

I can be perfectly honest here alone with Christ. He knows me perfectly anyway. My morning prayers? My daily Rosary - is it daily? My examination of conscience - a real soul-searcher or a smooth glide over many faults?
What means am I going to take to remember these duties of my service?

I Speak to God: Lord, you know I have not been entirely faithful to these prayers. But you know, too, that I want to live up to the ideals I once set for myself. I don't want to be mediocre in your service. I want to do better, to be more generous, never to say "enough" to you.

Thought for Today: "My faithful Lord Jesus, let me be faithful to thee."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: