Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 1, Feast of All Saints

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Give me the grace, Lord, to keep before my eyes the example of those saidts that have gone before me.

The Idea: Boys, girls, housewives and laborers, soldiers, priests and doctors today are honored by the Church for following our Lord in a life well spent. Perhaps some of our friends and acquaint­ances are among them. Yet just a few years ago they were just as we are now, struggling to stay out of sin, being tempted, falling into sin and rising again. Now, for all eternity they enjoy the happiness of heaven. November 1 can be a day on which we gain much courage and determination to keep on trying to grow closer to God. Let us not think of the saints as extraordinary people who accomplished the impossible. They are ordinary people who did God's will as best they could. That is all God asks.

My Personal Application: Do I set the saints up on a high pedestal and convince myself that that is not for me? They are ideals to strive for, models to imitate, friends to seek help from. Who is my patron saint? I should ask now for his or her help in following our Lord. He or she is interest­ed in me now. For saints in heaven understand much more clearly the importance of grace, the evil of sin, and the goodness of God.

I Speak to the Saints: This time I will let the saints speak for me. They know better what is helpful for gaining salvation; and they are close to God. All you saints, speak to God for me and ask Him that I may profit by your example.

Thought for Today: All you saints, intercede for me!
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: