Monday, October 30, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 31, Occasions of Sin for Me-Companions and Purity

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dear Mother, teach me to seek out as companions only those who are brave enough to be pure.

The Idea: Pat rose quietly to leave the group, but her embarrassment couldn't be hidden. "What's the matter? Don't you like the birds and the bees?" The tittering girls trailed after her as the speaker continued the story.
Pat realized, of course, that these girls were becoming a proximate occasion of sin for her because of their suggestive stories. And if she now realizes that this is their usual topic of con­versation, she would certainly avoid them in the future. To avoid certain individuals or break away from them takes courage! But when their talk is dangerous, We are obliged in conscience to do so---to avoid a proximate occasion of sin.

My Personal Application: Are there certain fellows or girls who are for me occasions of sins against purity? Am I an occasion of such sins for anyone else? Ask our Lord for the courage to change a conversation or to leave a group rather than risk tainting the purity of my mind and heart. Ask Him to give me as friends those people whom I respect.

I Speak to Mary: Watch over me, Mother, that I may always choose as companions those who are dear to your most pure heart. Purify my lips that I may never be an occasion of impurity for any of your children.

Thought for Today: Mother most pure, pray for us.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: