Sunday, October 01, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 2-Monthly Check-Up

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Monthly Check-Up for October
On Prayer


Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To recall the essentials of prayer to test myself on my faithfulness.

Check-up: I have been meditating for a number of days now on prayer, learning more about it, trying to put it into daily practice. Quietly now, in the consciousness that God and I are alone, let me talk over my prayer life with Him.

First of all, am I really trying to pray mentally, for a definite period of time? If I haven't given mental prayer a chance, why not? Not enough courage? No, that isn't it, God. I know plenty of reasons why I should pray... Do I have a definite time to pray each day? and do I reserve this time for mental prayer alone? Very important!

A book makes prayer a lot easier to understand and put into practice. I can speak to you simply about the ideas and scenes and apply them to myself... What distracts me most during prayer?... moving my hands?...curiosity about other things?...looking at different objects?

I Speak to God: O God, sometimes I find prayer a pleasure and very easy, and sometimes I find it dull, difficult, and discouraging. But I won't give up! I'll keep on trying. I am going to get to know you personally and intimately the way I can only in mental prayer. Reveal yourself to me. Draw me closer to you, and make me one with you.

Thought for Today: "Lord, teach me to pray."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: