Friday, January 18, 2008

Just for Today, January 19

Many are found to desire contemplation; but they care not to practise those things which are required thereunto.
-Bk. III, ch. xxxi.
____________________

Marie, no doubt thinking that I was quite pious enough for my age, would only allow me time for my vocal prayers, and none for mental prayer, much as I would have loved it. One of my mistresses at the Abbey asked me how I spent my whole holidays, when I remained at home. I answered shyly that by drawing the curtains of my bed I could make a little recess in which I could hide, and there I would sit and think.

"Oh!" said the good nun, laughing, "and pray what do you think about?"

"About God, the shortness of life, eternity; in fact, I just think."

My mistress remembered this, and later used to remind me of my thinking and asked if I still kept it up. I realize now that I was really praying, whilst my divine Master gently taught my soul.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: