Saturday, January 19, 2008

Meditation for January 20, The Gift of Life

God has created me in preference to so many other beings who will remain forever in uncreated nothingness.

Me? Just why did He create me?

Because God knew that I would serve Him better than others? Because more glory would accrue to Him from creating me instead of so many others?

No!

Because I would be an object of greater joy to God, and because to compensate for my countless negligences, I would have an in­vincible ardor, a faith that moves mountains, a loving tenderness like that of repentant Mary Magdalen?

No!

But why, then?

Because He has deigned to love me more than others? Because, without my being any more lovable, He has wished to show me more attention, and make me the object of His greater com­placence.

If such is the case, what obligation is mine? Am I to serve God as poorly as possible? Love Him but slightly? I could not have been chosen among millions to be just an ordinary person. Would it be just? Would it not be base ingratitude on my part? I, who may never have existed, received life, and now profit by it to be a little more than nothing! What an abomination!

I must aim at carrying out in its entirety God's plan for my sanctification. ­
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: