Monday, January 14, 2008

Meditation for January 15, Austere Love

The Sunday within the Octave of the Epiphany recalls the Find­ing of Jesus in the Temple. The Epiphany season celebrates the visit of the Magi, the baptism of Christ and the wedding at Cana.

Many are surprised that Jesus did not treat His Mother with greater tenderness. Consider His answer when at the age of twelve He is found in the Temple; His answer to those who said: "Your Mother and your brethren are outside"; His answer at Cana; even His word on the cross of Calvary.

If Christ was reserved in expressing His affection for His Mother, it was certainly not through want of love, but to discriminate be­tween a natural and a supernatural love. Is that not a consoling thought for souls who have given all their love to Jesus and whom Jesus has left without consolations? It is easy to mistake demonstrations of affection for true love! I know I am loved by God and I imagine that this love will always be manifested in sweetness and consolation; I do not count on a possible aridity.

I know I am loved. I am willing therefore to forego the sensible consolations of this love. If at times that is very hard, I will think of Mary: "Woman, what is that to Me and to thee?" (John ii.) Assuredly it meant much to both. But it is not for the world to grasp the full import of the Savior's words, any more than it can understand His words to Magdalen after the Resurrection: Do not touch me!
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: