Monday, March 10, 2008

Just for Today, March 11

Lord, if Thou seest that this is expedient, and approvest of it as profitable to me, then grant that I may use it to Thy honour. But if Thou knowest that it will be hurtful to me, and not expedient for the salvation of my soul, take away from me such a desire.
-Bk. III, ch. xv.
_______________

O my Jesus! I love Thee, I love my Mother the Church, and bear in mind that the least act of pure love is more profitable to her than all other works put together. But am I sure that I have pure love in my heart? Are my boundless desires mere daydreams and folly? If this be so, then enlighten my mind, for I only seek the truth. If my hopes are rash, then take them from me, for they are a veritable martyrdom. Never­theless, should my soul never attain to the sublime heights for which it yearns, this martyrdom, this folly, will have been even sweeter than the bliss of Heaven, unless, by a miracle, Thou didst take away the memory of my earthly hopes.

Jesus! Jesus! if the desire of love be so unutterably sweet, what must it be to possess and enjoy it for all eternity ?
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: