Thursday, March 13, 2008

Just for Today, March 14

Consider the Carthusians, the Cistercians, and the monks and nuns of divers Orders; how every night they rise to sing psalms to the Lord. It would therefore be a shame for thee to be sluggish at so holy a time, when such multitudes of religious begin with joy to give praises to God.

Oh! that we had nothing else to do but to praise the Lord our God with our whole heart and mouth!
-Bk. I, ch. xxv.
_________________

How proud I felt when as hebdomadarian I recited the collects in choir! I shared the priest's privilege in saying the same prayers aloud in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, in pronouncing blessings and abso­lutions, and, as first chantress, singing the Gospel. The Divine Office was at my joy and my despair, for I longed to recite it perfectly. I am so sorry for the Sisters who forget to give out a versicle or who make mistakes. Sometimes, after having carefully prepared and marked my places, I have had a distraction and for­gotten to open my lips at the right moment. Nevertheless, I do not think that anyone could have a greater desire than I have to recite the Divine Office perfectly and assist at it in choir.
-Novissima Verba
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: