Saturday, March 15, 2008

Just for Today, March 16

When the grace of God comes to a man, then he is strong and powerful for all things; and when it departs, then he is poor and weak, left, as it were, only to stripes.

In these he must not be dejected nor despair, but stand with an even mind, resigned to the will of God, and bear for the glory of Christ whatever shall befall him: because after winter comes summer; after the night the day returns; after a storm there follows a great calm.
-Bk. II. ch. viii.
_______________

I can now look back upon the past; my soul has been plunged into the crucible of suffering, and has been matured by many trials, both interior and exterior. Just as a flower lifts its head when the storm is over, so I can look up and realize that the words of the Psalmist have been fulfilled in me: The Lord ruleth me and I shall want nothing. He hath set me in a place of pasture. He hath brought me up on the water of refreshment: he hath converted my soul....Though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evils, for thou art with me (Ps. xxii).

Yes, the Lord has ever been compassionate and merci­ful, long-suffering and plenteous in mercy (Ps. cii) to­wards me. I rejoice in this opportunity of singing the praises of His unspeakable goodness, and I am going to write, for your eyes alone, the life-story of the little flower that Jesus has plucked.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: