Friday, March 14, 2008

Meditation for March 15, Five Roses of Blood

The five wounds of Christ.

St. Ignatius in his methods of prayer advises what he calls "the application of the senses." "I will force myself," he said, "to see, to hear, to touch...." I will take my stand before our Savior on the Cross. It is the hour of the Passion and I am on Cal­vary....They have just raised the gibbet. Jesus is there: When I shall be lifted up, I shall draw all things to myself. There He is between the offended Majesty of the Father and the indescribable depravity of humanity.

His hands, His poor hands that have done only good to every one! Look at them, wounded, sore and bleeding.

His feet, they never trod this earth except to help mankind. They are pierced with huge nails. I see, it is all so real....I can touch....Lord, You permit me to press my lips, not to Your sacred flesh, but to this nail which has torn Your feet.

And the pierced side. My head almost reaches the opening; my eyes can penetrate the depth of Your love, O Jesus....

And these cries I hear...the feeble moan of Mary, the weep­ing of Magdalen, the dull sound of a drop of blood that has just fallen near me....Oh, this blood, with its own sweet fragrance; this blood, which flows down, streaking the Savior's body!

Grant that I may never hear the Crucifixus of the Credo with­out recalling the five bleeding roses.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: