Friday, March 21, 2008

Just for Today, March 22

Our Lord Jesus Christ Himself was not one hour of His life without suffering: Thus it behoved, saith He, Christ to suffer, and to rise again from the dead the third day (Luke xxiv, 46).

Drink of the chalice of thy Lord lovingly, if thou desirest to be His friend, and to have part with,Him.

-Bk. II, ch. xii.
________________

In the Sunday Gospel were these consoling words: Fear not, little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom (Luke xii, 32). My heart was filled with complete confidence, and I felt sure that the king­dom of Carmel would soon be mine. But I forgot those other words of Our Lord: I dispose to you, as my Father hath disposed to me, a kingdom (Luke xxii, 29) - that is to say, I have prepared crosses and trials for you, that you may be worthy to possess My kingdom. Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and so to enter into his glory (ibid. xxiv, 26)? If you would sit at His right hand, you must drink of the chalice that He drank.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: