Saturday, April 12, 2008

Just for Today, April 13

Lord, because Thou wast patient in Thy lifetime, in this chiefly fulfilling the commandment of Thy Father, it is fitting that I, a wretched sinner, should, according to Thy will, take all with patience; and as long as Thou pleasest support the burden of this corruptible life, in order to my salvation. For though this present life be burthensome, yet it is now become, through Thy grace, very meritorious; and by the help of Thy ex­ample and the footsteps of Thy saints, more supportable to the weak, and more lightsome.
-Bk. III, ch. xviii.
_______________

I was once working in the laundry opposite a Sister who was washing handkerchiefs, and who continually splashed me with dirty water. My first impulse was to step back and wipe my face, so that she might take the hint and be more careful; but I immediately realized how foolish it would be to throw away the treasures I was being offered, and so I concealed my annoyance. Instead of stepping aside, I made up my mind to wel­come all the dirty water that came my way, so that by the end of half an hour I felt quite a taste for this novel shower-bath, and was determined to come back again to this corner where so many riches were freely given away. So you see, Mother, I am a very little soul who can only offer very little things to God, and even so, I often neglect to make the little sacrifices that bring such peace to the soul. However, I do not lose heart, but cheerfully endure a little less peace of mind, deter­mined to be more watchful another time.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: