Thursday, April 10, 2008

Meditation for April 11, Inexcusable

Our Lord is ingenious in palliating faults. From the cross He excuses His executioners, They know not what they do. To the Apostles, slow in believing, He says: You cannot bear them now. (John 16:12.)

He is austere toward those whom He has called, to whom He has spoken, who have heard His voice--and who have forsaken Him. Those He calls inexcusable. At the Last Supper, speaking of the people of Palestine among whom He had lived and whom He had taught, he said, If I had not come, and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. (John 15:22.)

And I? What must my responsibility be?

Countless times, perhaps, I have resisted, I have turned a deaf ear, I have preferred not to see, I have refused to follow.

Inexcusable!

For others there may be an excuse; for me there is none. Perhaps Our Lord is loved and served generously in the world. There a moderate service suffices....What a delusion! The world forgets the Good Master, forsakes Him, refuses to serve Him or serves Him badly....And I! My service is no better than that of the world.

Inexcusable!

I have read, Of him that hath much, much shall be required.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: