Monday, April 14, 2008

Just for Today, April 15

They became needy, and were left in a wretched condition, who had built themselves a nest in heaven; to the end that being thus humbled and impoverished, they might learn not to trust to their own wings, but to hide themselves under Mine.
-Bk. III, ch. vii.
_______________

One day when walking in the garden leaning on the arm of one of her sisters, she stopped to look at a hen who was sheltering her chickens under her wings. After a few moments she said: "Let us go in; I cannot remain out any longer".

When she reached her cell she wept for some time, and was unable to speak. At length she said to her sister: "I was thinking of the figure chosen by Our Lord to express His infinite tenderness. All my life He has done that for me: He has covered me with his wings! I cannot tell you what I felt just now. God does well to veil Himself from my sight, to show me only rarely, and as it were through the lattices the effects of His mercy, for I think it would be more than I could bear."
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: