Sunday, April 13, 2008

Meditation for April 14, No Parking

To avoid traffic congestion there are No Parking signs at certain places in the city. We cannot stop long on that street or boulevard. We must advance, press forward, however inconvenient, toward the outlet.

I have entered upon a road. I must move continually toward the end. If I cease to advance in the road of perfection, I no longer fulfill the expectations of my Institute, my vows and the will of God for me.

To effect a thorough renovation at the time of retreat, and then to return soon to the same state of stagnation, is not enough.

When an occasional traveler rings the bell of a little mountain chapel, the sparrows, crows and bats fly out at once, surprised in their peace or their sleep....After fluttering about for a few moments, they go off some distance and then little by little they retum, as assured conquerors to their loved haven.

Thus it is with me in my retreats. What a flight of undesirable traits! Soon calm settles again; the bell no longer disturbs; the noise is silenced. One by one my little old passions, my habits on silent wings, in large flocks like crows, find their recently vacated nest in the niche.

That must not be! I must pull the cord every day, make the bell ring, chase the guests installed without my invitation, keep them from re-establishing themselves in some favorite comer. No Parking!
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: