Thursday, April 17, 2008

Just for Today, April 18

O my God, who art unspeakable sweetness, make me look upon as bitter all carnal comfort which withdraws me from the love of things eternal, and wickedly allures me to itself, by setting before me a certain present delightful good.

-Bk. III, ch. xxvi.
___________________

A great longing filled my soul: to love God alone, and find all my happiness in Him. I often repeated this passage from the Imitation during my thanksgiving: O my God, who art unspeakable sweetness, make me look upon as bitter all comfort that this world can give! These words came naturally to my lips, and I said them much as a child repeats, without fully understanding, what someone he loves has taught him. I will tell you later how Our Lord answered my prayer, and how He alone was ever my delight.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)

When I made this prayer, I did not ask that heavenly consolations might be taken from me, but only illusions and those joys which might draw me away from God.

-Novissima Verba.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: