Friday, April 18, 2008

Just for Today, April 19

Dost thou think to escape that which no mortal could ever avoid? What saint was there ever in the world without his cross and affliction? Our Lord Jesus Christ Himself was not one hour of His life without suffering: Thus it behoved, saith He, Christ to suffer and to rise again from the dead the third day (Luke xxiv, 46).

When thou shalt arrive thus far, that tribulation becomes sweet and savoury to thee for the love of Christ; then think that it is well with thee, for thou hast found a paradise upon earth.

-Bk. II, ch. xii.
______________

She had been suffering much pain, and I picked up the book of the Gospels to read her a few verses, and chanced upon the following passage: He is risen, he is not here, behold the place where they laid him (Mark xvi, 6).

"That is what has happened to me," she said, "suffering no longer touches me as it did in my child­hood; it is as If I had risen and were no longer where I seem to be. Do not grieve on my account, Mother, for now that suffering has become pleasant to me. I no longer feel it."

-Novissima Verba.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: