Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Meditation for July 23, Procrastination

Is procrastination one of my faults? Laziness, lack of organiza­tion in my work, and wasted time are all bound up in it.

I will try to discover fully the causes of it and remedy these faults to the best of my ability.

For my encouragement, I ought to consider how much to my disadvantage procrastination is; it makes me vacillating in fulfilling God's wishes and desires, and brings with it no advantage what­soever for:

What I omit today will be just as difficult tomorrow, if not more so.

The reasons that restrain me today, will doubtless restrain me tomorrow.

In neglecting to act at the present moment, I run the risk of pass­ing up every moment for acting.

Thus, I am in danger of cowardice and delusion; this is what it means to put off till later what duty demands or suggests for im­mediate fulfillment.

What would have happened to Joseph, if he had delayed taking the Child Jesus and His Mother Mary to flee into Egypt? What would have become of the Magi if they had put off following the star? What would have become of the Apostles if they had loitered, waited, argued? They left immediately. Recall Joan of Arc's response to the question: "When do you wish to set out." "Rather today than tomorrow, and tomorrow rather than the day after."

"O all you who have obeyed the calls of God with such promptitude, teach me to follow grace as soon as it speaks, that I may never keep Our Lord waiting.

"Speak Lord for Your servant heareth."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: