Friday, March 09, 2007

Mental Prayer for March 10, Divorce - Marriage Shipwreck

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To see the ugliness of divorce.

The Idea: When a couple gets married with the idea that they want only pleasure and enjoyment and self-indulgence, sooner or later they become greatly disillusioned. They soon find marriage is like all else in life: you get out what you put in.

Such people are emotional children who face problems like children. They run away. They want for themselves: they disregard conse­quences: a partner abandoned and endangered by great temptations; children set adrift without home or guide, God's gifts thrown to the winds.

My Personal Application: Am I convinced of the evil of divorce? If not, I wonder whether my emotions have kept pace with my age? Was Christ serious? -"What God has joined together, let no man put asunder."

Do the marriage vows mean anything? - "... until death do us part."

When I take on a responsibility, do I mean to fol­low it to the end no matter what the cost? Am I willing to pay the price for the joys of marriage? God entrusted children to parents; can the par­ents keep that trust?

I Speak to God: Dear God, help me now, long before I get emotionally involved in difficulties, to keep my promises, to shoulder my responsibilities. Help me to face coolly and calmly the difficulties of marriage, and then, if I want to bear them, accept them forever. I want to realize that in the Sacrament of Matrimony I get special grace to live that life. Teach me to call on that grace.

Thought tor Today: "Lord, that I may see."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: