Thursday, March 08, 2007

Mental Prayer for March 9, The Christian Family

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: That I might realize in my own family the ideal of the Holy Family.

Mental Picture: House at Nazareth... Mary at work setting the table for the evening meal... notice the cleanliness and attractiveness of the humble house. The boy, Jesus, comes in from the carpenter shop in the rear... He greets His mother. Hear their conversation about the day's happenings... see Him help His mother... hear Joseph enter... notice the peace and love in those eyes as he greets Mary... see her look of love... follow them through the evening meal.

My Personal Application: How do my ideals of a Christian home stand up to this one? How did this holy home become so attractive? Poverty, yes, but happiness too! When I am tired, can I be cheerful? Does the happy home depend on one member or all members of the family? Is a happy home one in which each member goes his own way, or is it one in which they work, play, and pray together? Does each think of self or of the other members first?

I Speak to God: O Father, center of every happy family, let me learn family happiness at Nazareth.

Teach me that happiness lies in giving to others, not in taking from them. Help me to be cheerful when I don't feel like it. Help me to share my part of the burden, not make others carry it. Teach me true sympathy, suffering with others, not making others suffer. Let me learn that love is selfless giving, cheerful helping.

Thought for Today: Holy Family, be the model of my family.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: