Saturday, January 26, 2008

Just for Today, January 27

O Jesus, the brightness of eternal glory;.the comfort of a soul in its pilgrimage! My tongue cannot express the sentiments of my heart, but my silence itself speaks to Thee.
-Bk. III, ch. xxi.
_______________

Apart from the Divine Office, which, although un­worthy, I have the happiness of reciting, I do not look for beautiful prayers in books; there are so many that they make my head ache. Besides, it is so difficult to choose between them, as each is more beautiful than the other, so that I do like little children who cannot read: I tell my Heavenly Father what I have to say, and He always understands.

It seems to me that prayer is just the raising of one's heart and an upward glance to Heaven, a cry of love and gratitude in the midst of trials just as much as in joy. It is the being lifted on to a higher, supernatural plane, where the soul is enlarged and united to God.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: