Thursday, January 24, 2008

Majerus - Jesuit Educated, 'Nuff Said

And he's a perfect fit for a non-Catholic group...St Stanislaus is accepting new "parishioners." He would certainly be welcomed at the "priestettes" new cult.

Surprised by the reaction to his pro-choice, pro-embryonic stem cell research comments made Saturday night at a Hillary Clinton political rally, St. Louis University basketball coach Rick Majerus spent part of Wednesday morning on the phone, trying to calm his elderly mother.
[...]
During an exclusive 90-minute conversation Wednesday, Majerus was civil and respectful in his comments made about Burke. But make no mistake: Majerus is unyielding, and defiant.

"I'm very respectful to the archbishop," Majerus said. "But I rely on my value judgments, thanks to my education at Marquette, which is a Jesuit institution, just like St. Louis. And that Jesuit education led me to believe that I can make a value judgment. And my value judgment happens to differ from the archbishop's."

Marquette University? Who could have imagined that?

Unfortunately, Majerus' "value judgements" are in error. His concept of right and wrong has been compromised by an insidious sense of pride in his own ability to determine what is thruth and what is means to be a Catholic. One need only read or listen to what he says to understand that his defiance and obstinacy are similar to the expressed views of the schimatic Marek Bozek, the board members of St Stanislaus, and the deluded women who pretend to be priestettes, Rose Hudson and Elsie McGrath.

"I do not speak for the university or the Catholic Church. These are my personal views. And I'm not letting him change my mind. I think religion should be inclusive. I would hope that all people would feel welcome inside a church, and that the church would serve to bring people together, even if they happen to disagree on certain things."

While he may not speak for the university, he is a representative of that university and his actions and words are a source of public scandal. His personal views are no longer private - he has made his personal "value judgements" public - and he did so while being a representative of SLU.

And he thinks religion should be "inclusive"? What does that mean, exactly...? Is heaven inclusive? Apparently not, for then there would be no Hell. Is the Church any different? God calls all to come to the light of the truth and accept His commands and He has deigned that the Catholic Church should carry on this mission in the world. The Church accepts all who freely consent to the teachings of Christ and to her precepts. Those who do not accept these teachings really have no desire to be members of His Church. Majerus is either ignorant of what it means to be Catholic and a follower of Christ - or - he willfully rejects Christ and His Church.

"These beliefs are ingrained in me," Majerus said. "And my First Amendment right to free speech supersedes anything that the archbishop would order me to do. My dad fought on Okinawa in World War II. My uncle died in World War II. I had classmates die in Vietnam. And it was to preserve our way of life, so people like me could have an opinion."
No one is denying his right to an opinion. The Church, however, is well within her rights to deny him access to her most valued sacraments since he chooses to publicly embrace the murder of the innocent, thereby causing a very grave public scandal. The door swings both ways and he has chosen, by his denial of fundamental truths concerning life issues, to exit the doors of the Church.

"Hope is the essence of life; it's something we all cling to," Majerus said. "And stem cell research provides hope for all of the people who are afflicted with a myriad of deadly diseases. I owe it to my friend and those who are suffering to be an advocate if I can.

"I just feel like there could be a cure out there. And who knows where the cure lies? We need to keep searching. With stem cell research, to me you aren't destroying life. You're embracing life, embracing hope."
Apparently, setting records for low scores is something Majerus is well qualified for. His ignorance concerning embryonic stem cell research is appalling. What is that embryo, Mr. Majerus, if it is not a human being? At what stage does an embryo become human?

As for abortion, Majerus said his position is simple: A woman should have the freedom to choose.
The freedom to choose to do what? Murder an innocent human being? Complete the sentence, please...

Majerus said he would welcome a visit, or a conversation, with Burke.

"But in the end, it wouldn't make a difference," he said. "Because the archbishop would still believe in what he believes, and I would still stick with my beliefs."
The deadly sin of pride and arrogance. This man may have been baptized a Catholic but he has abandoned the faith in favor of intellectual dishonesty and rebellion.

It must be understood that no one is compelling the man from conforming to the teachings of the Church or to change his beliefs. His beliefs, being in direct opposition to the teachings of the Church however, place him outside the Church and he has chosen to jeopardize his eternal salvation. By defiantly speaking out about his heretical beliefs, he has caused, and continues to foment discord, disunity and scandal.

"The wisest thing probably is not to be involved in any of this," he said. "But I feel like, in my heart of hearts, that I should talk about what I believe in."
SLU has a mess on its hands. And so does the Archbishop. Majerus' antics should not be tolerated, his opinions are flawed, his thinking is defective, and his faith is lacking. He values, not life, but the culture of death and those who promote that demonic culture. He has not the wisdom to know when to keep his mouth shut - and when he does speak, he displays an attitude of arrogance befitting of far too many Jesuit-educated "Catholics."

"A lot of people like the safe harbor. And perhaps my comments will hurt my recruiting efforts, or damage the relationship I have with our (basketball) supporters. I hope not. But I can't divorce what I believe from who I am."
Well, at least we now know "who he is" and that he can't change what he believes...

Professed "Catholics" who are public advocates of abortion and embryonic stem cell research who fail to recant these evil positions should be denied Holy Communion until they do recant. Or until they have the guts and intellectual honesty to leave the Church and find a relgion which fits their sick "belief system."

Source: Post Dispatch

And there is this article, as well:
SLU trustee: Majerus entitled to opinion

Joe Adorjan, the board member who was formerly the board's chairman, said the board has not met to discuss the topic and that board members will likely send their views on the matter to the Rev. Lawrence Biondi, SLU's president.
[...]
Speaking for himself, Adorjan said he does not think Majerus should be punished for expressing his views.

"My personal view is that he is an employee of the university and the university is run by a lay board," he said. "I think that's the coach's personal opinion and he's totally entitled to his personal opinion as would be any employee of any other organization."
Yes, he is an employee of a nominally Catholic institution. And yes, he is entitled to his opinion...And he's also free to accept or reject the teachings of the Church. And as shepherd of Catholics in the Archdiocese of St Louis, Archbishop Burke Burke is free to invoke Canon 915, which seems highly probable considering Majerus' outspoken attitude and behavior.

Adorjan doesn't speak for the Church, and Archbishop Burke has not indicated in any way that he speaks for the University. If SLU wishes to ignore the issue, faithful St Louis Catholics would only be confirmed of their belief of SLU's questionable fidelity to the Church. I wonder if Joe Adorjan even cares about that - after all, SLU is run by a "lay board." Sound familiar?

No comments: