Sunday, June 29, 2008

Just for Today, June 30

Son, cast thy heart firmly on the Lord, and fear not the judgement of man, when thy conscience gives testimony of thy piety and innocence. It is good and happy to suffer in this way; nor will this be grievous to an humble heart, nor to him who trusts in God more than in himself. Many say many things, and therefore little credit is to be given to them. Neither is it possible to satisfy all.

Though Paul endeavoured tp, please all in the Lord, and made himself all unto all; yet he made little account of his being judged by the judgment of men (I Cor. iv, 9). He laboured for the edification and salvation of others as much as he could, and as lay in him; but he could not prevent his being sometimes judged or des­pised by others. Therefore he committed all to God, who knows all, and defended himself by patience and humility against the tongues of those that spoke evil, or that thought and gave out at pleasure vain and faulty things of him.

-Bk. III, ch. xxxvi.
___________________

One day at recreation the portress came to ask for a Sister to do some special work. I had a childish longing to do it, and I was the one chosen. I therefore began to fold our work, but without hurrying, which enabled my neighbour to be ready first, for I knew how delighted she would be to take my place. The Sister who had asked for help remarked laughingly: "You were so slow that I guessed you would not add this jewel to your crown!" The Community all thought I was following my natural inclination.

I cannot tell you how much this little incident helped me to become indulgent. It even prevents my feeling proud when I am judged favourably, for I say to my­self: If my little acts of virtue seem to be imperfections, it is quite possible for my imperfections to be considered virtues, and so I say with St Paul: To me it is a very small thing to be judged by you, or by man's day; but neither do I judge my own self. For I am not conscious to myself of anything, yet am I not hereby justified, but he that judgeth me is the Lord (I Cor. iv, 3, 4).

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: