Saturday, July 05, 2008

Meditation for July 6, The Need for Joy

"I come back again to my need of not being treated too sternly by You, my Lord. I have such a fear of suffering. Somewhere, I read that the great composer Gounod arranged two finales for one of his suites; the one, according to the original theme of the composer, was somber in color, the other, purely fantastic, offering a happy ending. The public greatly preferred the latter. 'Do you believe that we pay for our places to weep?' said these good people.

"I am like that public. The denouement pleases me more if it is happy."

"Have I not already told you that I, your Lord, have written My suite, the beautiful poem of your life upon earth, with an ending from which all sadness is banished. You obliged me to change My finale. What do I mean? My poem took on a mood of blood, where all before was joy - and not only for you human beings, but likewise for My Son. All was disorder; there was no longer any harmony because a horrible false note had slipped in making every­thing discordant. I had to introduce a new melody into the poem. Alas, a melody of indescribable sadness; it began with the tears of a Little Child cradled in a manger used for animals, and ended with a piercing dolorous cry that rent the veil of the Temple, set the elements astir and shook the world. You have seen the suffering of My Son? And you cannot accept even little thorn pricks! Something is missing in the Passion of Christ. Other notes are necessary to uphold His Voice and strengthen His mournful song. Do you wish to join your voice with My Son's?"

"Yes, Lord, I accept all. Have pity on me, but use me. Insig­nificant as my voice may be in the chorus of souls who sing to You the poem of the Cross, I do not refuse to take my part. I will dare accompany You, since You desire it, and since You ask me to."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: