Thursday, July 03, 2008

Meditation for July 4, Confidence in Suffering

"My God, I asked You yesterday to have pity on me when You send me suffering; not to forget to add a drop of joy, because am poorly fortified for endurance and my strength soon gives out."

"You are right, my Child, in saying that you scarcely know how to suffer. I am not surprised. I created you for joy. It was original disobedience that darkened everything. Why do you not wish to be happy as I want you to be?"

"You are good, my Lord, not to be astonished at my inability to suffer for any length of time. Do more for me, relieve me without long delay whenever I am in distress."

"Take confidence in the remembrance of what happened one day to My servant, John of the Cross. There was not a crumb of food in his monastery when mealtime came. Did he abandon himself to discouragement? Not at all. The community prayed. They heard John exhorting them to confidence. Suddenly there was a knock at the outer door of the monastery; an unknown visitor was bringing bread. The little community did not die for want of bread that day. John of the Cross wept tears of gratitude because I had not the courage to make him and his brethren suffer too much. That is My way."

"Yes, Lord, I know You, I know that is Your way. But I - You know what I am, too. What is my sanctity compared to that of St. John of the Cross?"

"That is no difficulty. All proportions kept, and with the grace that is yours, become a saint as he did."

"Do you know, dear Lord, that it is still more difficult to add to my sanctity than to a loaf of bread. Miracle for miracle, the first has more attraction than the second."

"Do your best, my child, I will do the rest."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: