Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 20 - "Blessed Are the Meek"

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, let me learn what you meant when you said, "Learn from me; I am meek and humble of heart."

The Idea: In 1956 the Russian Communist government blundered in their human relations and "lost face" with the entire world of civilized people. They were intolerant of the Polish and Hungarian nations' desires for liberty. They were unforgiving of the Hungarian revolt. Finally they lost self-mastery. They could have prevented this, had they been tolerant, forgiving, and self-possessed - in a word: had they been "meek."

Meekness is a complex virtue that our present age needs. Strangely enough, even the pagan world recognizes the good sense of this virtue.

My Personal Application: What a shame if the pagan world grasps this beatitude, while we Catholics pass it by. I don't want to waste a moment of my life. And quarrels are sheer loss. Anger toward people I disagree with will never get things done. Let me look ahead into the next seven days: what chances will I probably have to practice this manly virtue of meekness with people I contact? "Forewarned is forearmed."

I Speak to Christ: Help me to win the happiness promised to meekness, for myself and for our world. In the face of anger let me be self-possessed. Where there is selfishness let me show reasoned patience. Let me replace any vengeance I might feel with forgiveness.

Thought for Today: "Learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart." (Matt. 2:29).
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: