Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 21 -"Blessed Are Those Who Mourn"

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To rely on you, Lord, as my true comfort.

The Idea: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Comfort stems from the very thought that God allows pain to make us think of eternity and heaven. It's a reminder that created things don't last long; heaven does. We know that the things about us simply don't last : teeth decay, food spoils, pets die, the car breaks down. There are other sources of hurt: study is necessary in order to know; wars destroy; nasty remarks cut into our souls; we sin; and finally all people die. Pain is good and useful only when, in seeking relief from it, we turn to God with supernatural hope.

My Personal Application: Are there some trivial­ities that I let irritate me? Things I'd be ashamed to own up to? When my team loses? Giving a speech? Disappointments? Has my first reaction been to sulk, to throw a tantrum? Do I "go to pieces" when ridiculed?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, I know you don't expect me not to feel hurt when there is cause for it. When I have reason for sorrow, no matter how
small the pain, I shall gently recall that I have no lasting home on earth. And more consolingly, I know that I have you to comfort me, to know all my needs, to answer all my prayers.

Thought for Today: For I shall be comforted.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: