Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Priest Follows His 'Heart' And Weds

I was living a double life, but now my conscience is clear," says Catholic Priest Father Godfrey Shiundu, 38, of his recent marriage. "I knew it was wrong to have a girlfriend while serving God as a priest, but I couldn't leave her because I love her with all my heart."
. . .
"I'd be with my girlfriend in bed on a Sunday morning, then I'd rush to church to say Mass hurriedly so that I could go back to her. At the altar I portrayed an image of an honest and Holy Father, but in my head I knew that wasn't true. I was sinning. I couldn't live with that guilt anymore."

Father Shiundu is no stranger to controversy. Four years ago, he was accused of impregnating a seminary nun. Temporarily rejected by the church, he had no one to turn to but Stella. "The bishops didn't give me a hearing; I still maintain I'm innocent. Stella was my soul mate, the only person I could rely on."

The man has two daughters by this woman, the older one being six.

Let us not forget that nearly always, sins of the flesh lead to rejection of God and the authority of the Church. This man has subsequently joined a group called the "Reformed Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church." It's amazing how most every rebellious sinner still wants to claim to be Catholic. And, of course, "reform" and "apostolic" are usually part of the mix when renegades decide to venture off on their own forsaking the promises of Christ.

Where does this rebellion lead? We have witnessed it throughout history and the story is always the same:

The Reformed Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church now has more than 2,000 members, and is encouraging women to join as priests. The election of bishops is done by the faithful, rather than by the head American church, and lay people are allowed up to the altar to read the Bible. The new church also permits the use of condoms, provided one of the partners is HIV- positive and could infect the other. These radical changes fly in the face of accepted Catholic doctrine, but Father Shiundu says a more realistic, practical approach is needed towards life, sexuality and relationships.

"When I was ordained a priest I promised to remain celibate, but-like any other promise- you can break it if it isn't working," he says.

Oh yes, "Father", promises and vows mean nothing anymore. I'm certain our Lord understands.

No comments: