Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 23 - "Blessed Are the Merciful"

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To love and imitate the mercy of God.

The Idea: The housemaid of a family was caught stealing a package of clothes and food. Instead of firing her, the owner of the house gave the maid another chance. We'd agree that, accord­ing to strict justice, the owner had a right to fire the maid. And justice is a virtue. By it we give to ourselves and others what is due. But mercy is also a virtue; by it we are inclined to forgive injustices out of a love for the offender. The owner above acted with mercy. In strict justice God could have taken our lives and thrown us into hell when we sinned mortally. Instead He was merciful.

My Personal Application: Suppose an ill-bred person maliciously ridicules my lack of ability. That hurts. Then months later I discover that same person heartbroken as a result of being "left out" on the big party prep­arations. I certainly owe nothing in justice. But he or she is my brother or sister in Christ's Mystical Body, and a kind word from me might easily give the comfort that is needed. I won't be the loser. I consider what words can aptly bring joy and yet ring true. I speak. With a slight look of surprise his face slowly brightens, and I find I have won a friend. And my mercy cost so little!

I Speak to Christ: I know that you expect me to stand up for my own rights. But what if you did that, Lord? Where would we all be? Where would I be? Often instead of demanding strict justice, I can forgive. The good I can do that way will far outweigh the little inconvenience or hurt I received.

Thought for Today: "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: