Thursday, November 15, 2007

Meditation for November 16, My Imperfect State

An authentic author of the life of St. Gertrude (G. Ledos, p. 20) notes regarding this great privileged saint of the thirteenth century:

"At times after having been troubled by some impatience, or when meditating on the faults into which her frailty led her, she complained to God in the bitterness of her heart, begging Him to deliver her from her faults, which tarnished the purity of her soul; however, the light that she received from God made her under­stand that the faults He leaves in His elect are an effect of His mercy. He wishes thereby to make them recall how naturally frail they are; how subject to frequent falls; and that all their purity is but a simple effect of His gratuitous mercy."

I should certainly not condone my faults but make every effort to correct myself.

But if, after having put forth all the effort I can, these involun­tary weaknesses crop out, I should not trouble myself. They are permitted by God for a double purpose.

To maintain me in humility, in the certitude - that I would not acquire in any other way - of my absolute impotence without the help of God.

To inspire me with confidence: God loves me such as I am, and is more eager than I to transform me. I will lean on that love.

My Lord, I count on You, make me as You wish me to be.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: