Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mental Prayer for June 14 - Spiritual Communion

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: My God, give me the desire to have you ever close to me.

The Idea: Almost every person seems to have someone on whom he or she relies greatly for advice, companionship, and encouragement. Per­haps for me it is my mother or father or a priest or a nun or a very close friend. Such an influence is very helpful. But frequently when we need a person like that very badly, he or she is not avail­able; we're left to work and worry things out on our own.

But - there is someone who is always available. He wants very much to have our confidence, our love, and our friendship. He desires to help us solve our problems.

This person is Christ. We can always unite ourselves to Him by a spiritual communion. This consists simply in a desire to receive our Lord within us, even though we cannot now at the moment receive Him in Holy Com­munion.

My Personal Application: Since I have tried to become a more fervent, humble and faithful Catholic, have I seriously tried to grow in friend­ship with our Lord? Friends want to be with each other. Do I want to be with Christ? Do I want to talk over with Him my interests and His interests, my desire to seve Him, His desire to help me in bringing all men to His love and service? Do I try to be with Him in the Holy Eucharist as much as I can during the day? I can be, I know, if not physically, at least spirit­ually.

I Speak to Christ: O my Lord, I believe you are interested in me. I believe that you are all-­powerful to help me. Help me then to call on you frequently during the day, and may my desire to be with you urge me on to go to Communion ever more frequently.

Thought for Today: "My Lord and my God!"
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: